Friday, November 18, 2011

21 Weeks!

How far along are you?  21 weeks... already.
How big is baby?  Baby is about the size of a banana this week, 10.5" and over 13 oz. (my pregnancy info says 12.5 oz., but I know my child is bigger than that already.)
Maternity clothes?  Still gradually converting.  I'm wearing them most of the time now.
Weight -Loss or Gain?  Hovering around 10-11 lbs.
Stretch marks?  Nope
Sleep?  It varies from night to night.  Some nights are okay, but others have been awful.
Best moment this week:  Seeing our little angel at our ultrasound
Any Movement?  Every day! :)
Food Cravings?  Salad.  All I want in life is salad.
Food Aversions?  No aversions, but nothing sounds good.
Belly Button in or out?  In
What do you miss:  A good night's sleep.
What are you looking forward to:  Thanksgiving next week!
What was the BEST part of this week?  Having Mike finally feel kicks!!
What was the WORST part of this week?  Finding out the baby has pyelectasis at our ultrasound :(

21 weeks - my nighttime belly

I was going to do a separate post about our anatomy scan, but I couldn't pull it together, so I didn't.  In all it was a good appointment.  We found out our baby is 13 oz already!!  I thought that was huge, and even asked if it was big.  The doctor told us that normal range is 10-14 oz, so we were within those parameters (but still, OMG).  We got to see all of our little angel's organs, body parts, the most beautiful little spine, 10 fingers and distinct toes (they can't count toes yet), and, just barely, the sweetest little profile.  Baby was giving the technician a hard time about turning off his/her belly so that we could get the final few necessary photos (and our souvenir profile shot), so I had to do acrobatics on the table to try and get him/her to flip.  No such luck.  My kid's stubborn... hm, must get that from Dad. ;)  Anyway, the doctor came in to try and get the last shot and baby still hadn't flipped, so after digging into me for a few minutes (seriously, ow!), baby finally gave in and gave us an okay profile.  And by okay, I mean, my child flipped over and then tilted his/her head all of the way backwards.  Did I mention my kid is stubborn?

After the scan, the doctor mentioned that the baby's kidney measurements were a little larger than normal and asked us to meet him in his office to discuss the issue.  Basically, the urine-holding area in both of the baby's kidneys had more urine than they like to see.  The doctor explained that I had plenty of amniotic fluid (essentially the baby's pee), which indicates that there is enough urine output, but there could be a blockage in the urethras that lead from the bladder to the kidneys, or reflux from the bladder into the kidneys.  The condition is called pyelectasis, but he said that we only had mild dilation of the renal pevlis in both kidneys, so not to worry too much.  He also mentioned that it does clear up prior to birth in about 50% of cases.  We have to go back between 34-36 weeks to have a follow-up ultrasound to check to see if the situation is cleared up.

Even though I've had a whole weekend to digest this information, I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little upset.  I know there's nothing I can do (I asked), but I wish there was.  If I had to stand on my head and eat snails for the remainder of my pregnancy, I would do it if it meant my baby was going to be completely healthy.  Unfortunately that's not the way things work.  So, for the next 14 weeks I'm just going to pray that this issue gets resolved... and try not to make myself crazy with worry.

No comments:

Post a Comment