Sunday, July 31, 2011

Knowing Looks?

With the exception of my mom and step-dad, Mike and I have decided to wait to tell our families about the Bean until after our first appointment.  Because I'm a genius (in my own mind), I decided to make the brilliant decision to intentionally make our first appointment late.  Even though my OB will see newly-pregnant patients between 8-10 weeks, I scheduled our first appointment for 9w6d (Monday, August 29).  Why would I do something so frustrating, you ask?  Well, the reason is two-fold.  First of all, once we tell our immediate families, it will be very difficult to keep the news from spreading to extended family, friends, Facebook, you name it.  With that in mind, we also realized that the weekend following the appointment is Labor Day weekend, where we will likely see both sides of the family and have a good opportunity to out ourselves.  The Tuesday after Labor Day, I will be 11 weeks, so I feel like (following a good first appointment) we will be safe to let the news fly to any and all who will hear it.

Funnily enough, the secret is proving to be difficult to keep, though not by any information that Mike and I have given out.  Upon telling my mom, she told me that she had recently had a dream about both my deceased father and grandmother and wondered if it meant I was pregnant (with twins, no less!)  The weekend after that, while wearing a loose-fitting dress (in an attempt to be comfortable/hide my bloat), my sister made a comment that she had hoped I was going to say I was pregnant.  Then Mike came home from work last night and said his sister told him she had a dream about people dying two nights in a row.  She said that the dreams meant someone was going to have a baby and wanted to know if it was me and Mike!  Obviously Mike told her no, but I'm starting to wonder if our families have a sixth sense about this type of thing.

Sixth sense or not, I am becoming quite the actress (because 'actress' sounds nicer than 'liar').  For 3 weekends in a row, I have had to come up with good excuses of why I don't want even one drink at different summer get-togethers.  My voracious appetite has been attributed to various reasoning including getting over a bad headache, skipping lunch, and not having had a certain meal in awhile.  My exhaustion has been due to the heat and getting things done around the house (ha!).  While my bloat has been hidden under flowy tops, I am going to have to start getting better at hiding my nausea, which has been getting worse by the day.  I am going to deserve an Academy Award by Labor Day weekend! :)

In the meantime, I am just going to enjoy this time where the Bean is still a secret between me and Mike (and my mom and step-dad).  Though certain symptoms aren't my favorite (ahem, nausea), I'll take being pregnant over not being pregnant any day of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment